Saturday 11 August 2012

Review: Half-Blood

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck. 

This book was a nice surprise, after everyone saying that this was very similar to the Vampire Academy I was expecting that this would be good but not amazing seeing as copies never really were. Instead I found that this book was amazing and that I absolutely loved it. Yes its true, it has a lot of similarities with Vampire Academy, but its not all the same. I loved Armentrout's characters and writing, this book made me laugh and fall in love so easily and effortlessly.

Alex is a bit like Rose and Aiden is a teeny bit like Dimitri, but I don't think they are exact copies. I'll admit that the name Aiden didn't do it for me at the beginning, the name just didn't sound badass enough, but then I got to know him and I have a new appreciation for the name. Seth was pretty cool when he first appeared and then he started giving off evil vibes and then he stopped... in short, I don't really know how I felt about him at the end of the book, I can't say I like him but then I can't say that I dislike him either.

For me the characters in this book was what made it so great. I loved Alex's Uncle and Stepfather, they weren't nice people but they were the 'cool' bad guys. Aiden's brother is a laugh and I'd love to see more of him in the next book. Caleb was a suspect candidate for a love triangle at the beginning so I stared clear of him. Lea is a Class A Bitch who plays the role of Alex's enemy. Leon is the guy who keeps reminding me of Sir Leon in the BBC show Merlin and I giggled whenever he appeared in the book. The relationships between the characters in this book and the banter they had between them were hilarious to read.

At the end of this book, I see a love triangle coming and I don't know if the next one will be a serious love triangle or not, but I do hope that its not. This book was a light, funny and exciting read. Armentrout proves herself again at being able to write stories that lighten up the mood and aren't too serious or depressing. I'm looking forward to the next book and I'd recommend this to those who loved the VA and to those that want something funny and light that has a good plot.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment